Main Benefits of Implementing an Effective FRACAS Process
The basic benefit of a comprehensive, closed-loop FRACAS is the contribution of the information that it contains for the timely identification and correction of design errors, part problems, workmanship defects and/or process errors.
An effective FRACAS results in saving of significant direct costs such as factory rework, parts/materials scrap, or warranty service, and even greater indirect costs associated with dissatisfied customers.
An effective FRACAS can serve as a major contributor to reliability growth, efficient maintenance, and continuous process improvement. Continuous monitoring and tracking of data via the FRACAS provides an assessment as to whether previous failure trends have been eliminated through corrective action.
In conclusion, the main benefits of an effective FRACAS process are:
- Saving of direct and indirect costs by the proper handling and investigation of problems followed by appropriate corrective action
- Visibility of reliability performance problems
- Initiation of continuous reliability improvement process
- Effectiveness of corrective actions control and linkage to results
- Expedient engineering effort to resolve problems
- Root Cause Analysis
- Knowledge base of a history of problems and lessons learned helping to avoid similar occurrences.